Monday 12 March 2018

Figuring things out?

I've been struggling a bit with drawing and creating artworks recently. Can't seem to get my hands moving on paper..at least not the way I used to a few years ago. This mental sulking has been going on for quite a long time now and I've decided I have to tackle this somehow. Ignorance is not helping anymore.

I work as a graphic designer and I have been doing this for the last 4 years now. Got into it right after college though I studied multimedia and specialized in 3d animation.

I always sketched for as long as I can remember.



Drawing was my secret escape from everything..something I loved doing the most. First year of college was all foundation in drawing and I learnt so much. I used to mindlessly doodle, concepts I could later develop into a digital artwork, in my sketchbook. Finishing a sketchbook was never a thing I did consciously. It just happened.


 After college, I started working as a graphic designer and this was a completely different environment for me.I learnt a lot of things.
I got better at using Illustrator and making posters and logos.

Time went by and somewhere along the line I lost that urge in me to sketch the way I used to. I would love to get it back and draw to my heart's content. There's this restlessness I feel in whatever I do because I've been ignoring it for too long and now I don't think I can anymore.

Youtube searching "artist-block solution" videos or looking at other illustrators and trying - to get inspired, etc. haven't helped much for me. Mostly just led to procrastinating.

I've started reading this book called "Mindfulness & the Art of Drawing". Finding it quite helpful so far. The best part is that its not just reading through, there are exercises that we can do in each chapter with step by step guidance on what to do.

(the book's available on amazon if you're interested)




Posting here is also something I'm trying out as a part of this.
No one might ever come across this but I'm getting it out of my head and that is helping me. 👀😇

No comments:

Post a Comment